[texbirds] Re: Reporting rare birds on Texbirds

  • From: "Glenn Swartz" <gdswartz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:19:20 -0600 (CST)

I have chased a few local rare bird in my earlier years. At first when a rare
bird show up, not many birders knew about it. This was back before the internet
age.

When the Collared Forrest- Falcon showed up at Bentsen State Park back in the
90s (first US sighting), I went down when a group of four to see the bird.

We got there at 8 am. The park was already swarming with birders, hundreds of
us.

The word was for that day that nobody had seen the bird. At one point we were
standing out side the front gate on the dike talking to a friend we run into
about 2 that afternoon.

Word got out that the Falcon was seen back inside the park and a frantic mob of
people made a run, yes they were running, to go see the bird and were coming
right at us.

The friend we where talking to was a police officer and was well over six foot
tall and even he had a look of concern on his face.

This event put an end to my “chasing” rare birds. We as birders should show
more respect for our hobby.

Yes, a few of the die hards saw the falcon at sun set that day.

I also run the Costal Bend Rare Bird Alert for a couple of years and have all
kinds of stories about birders making demands.

Our home was always open to birders and we had hundreds of people come by to
see birds at our feeders. We even had bird tours show up by the bus loads. For
the most part, the people were polite and thankful. But a few were not. One guy
walked in and flopped down on the couch and demanded coffee. One big year bird
chaser with in minutes of coming inside asked where the Buff-bellied
Hummingbird (back then it was a hard bird to find outside the Valley) was. The
whole time the hummer was feeding at the feeder. He didn’t even know how to
id the birds he was looking for.

I could go on and on. Birders are people and people are all different. The
computer age has change bird watching and bird chasing.

Glenn Swartz