[texbirds] Re: Reporting rare birds on Texbirds

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:18:20 -0600

I will be in attendance for your stoning or beheading if I get an
invite...Of mostly like mind, trust me I have been there and likely still
am...To date the blade has been dull and the stones pebbles....:-)....B

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM, <MBB22222@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Recently a few thoughts on this subject were posted here. I do not reply to
>  anybody in particular; these are just my own, loose, thoughts. Nor I try
> to  criticize any thoughts posted earlier. We all have rights to our own
> opinion.
> First, in my opinion, reporting any bird here, or somewhere else, is a
> courtesy of the poster. Second, If somebody thinks that something is
> important
> it should do it itself; personally rare birds list with location posted on
> the  same day when they have been seen is absolutely not important to me
> but
> knowing  that this might be of interest to some people I do sometimes post
> if I saw one  in popular place and I do not if I think they are in
> sensitive
> area where this  or other birds' welfare can be compromised. What I think
> is 'sensitive\' it  might not be to somebody else but my opinion is as
> valid
> as others. I wouldn't  question their definitions. It is all relative.  I
> understand that we have  a few people calling themselves hard core birders
> and
> it seems like those,  sometimes, are demanding that other people
> immediately post any interesting  finding so they can go and have a tick.
> Personally I
> do not see much  satisfaction from chasing birds found by somebody else and
> claim it on the  'list'. It also seems that the tactic of trying to make
> somebody feel guilty if  he/her is not immediately sending the report can
> be
> used from time to time as  well. BTW, it looks like somebody with a lot of
> money, private jet and horde of  local guides could quite easy win big
> year or
> whatever it is called. To some  degree this was already been done in the
> past. On the other hand, sure, I am  checking eBirds to check migration
> dates
> (of common birds), etc. I would be much  more grateful to people who only
> post county were it was seen but correctly IDed  the bird. Unfortunately
> eBirds is just a mess as far as this goes. And yes,  forums were birds and
> ID
> subjects were discussed in deep are practically gone.  Not very good for
> all
> new bird watchers. And, I think these discussions are more  important than
> posting rarities. Some people did not have time to learn ID birds  yet but
> will
> jump plane to tick one that was found, and IDed, by somebody else  (not
> always IDed correctly as we know of quite a few wild goose chases in the
>  past
> - sure it is good for local economy ....).
>
> To me the bottom line is: if one is seriously interested in any bird
> groups it has to learn how to ID them himself (or end up with 5 or more
> [...]

Brush Freeman
361-655-7641 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
Son, Please don't become a birder.  You have your whole life ahead of you!