[texbirds] Re: RGV Ferruginous Hawk, Rock Wren, photos

  • From: "David T. Dauphin" <dauphins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 13:27:23 -0600

Brush, we have had the occasional Rock Wren in Hidalgo Co.  Usually around
large rock berms used by Border Patrol to shore up levees, such as at Anzalduas
Co. Park.  Some speculation that they come in on the hugely long trains that
haul in the rocks from Mexico and the west.
David Dauphin
Mission
On Jan 13, 2014, at 11:55 AM, Brush Freeman wrote:

> A Rock Wren in Hidalgo Co.?   I am nuts or is not an exceptional find
> there??   I really don't know.  Also I am very curious...Were there lots of
> gopher mounds were you had the hawk.
> Brush Freeman
> 503-551-5150 Cell
> http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
> Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
>

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I found and photographed a Ferruginous Hawk in a rural area on
>> S.R. 1425 in Hidalgo County and a Rock Wren in western Hidalgo County that
>> had first been discovered in the Mission-area CBC. Both are life birds for
>> me. The wren was in an isolated area and I would recommend caution in
>> accessing the site. A caliche excavation site operates there on weekdays.
>> The juvenile hawk was perched atop a dirt mound just north of the Sugar
>> Mill on 1425, close to the roadside. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology states
>> that the bird's preferred habitats include mounds in open desert.
>> Interestingly, this hawk remained perched on the mound while a great deal
>> of noisy excavation work being done by heavy machinery nearby. The hawk was
>> quite confiding and allowed me to observe and photograph it for several
>> minutes. It did not seem bothered by the high level of human activity going
>> on around it. It finally flew to another area farther back from the road.
>>
>> Hawk and wren photos are here:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/sets/72157638997525185/
>>
>> Bob Becker
>> Rancho Viejo
>> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
>> //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>>
>> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission
>> from the List Owner

David Dauphin
Mission, TX
For Valley wildlife watching info, go to
http://www.thedauphins.net