[texbirds] RGV Ferruginous Hawk, Rock Wren, photos

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:16:51 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday I found and photographed a Ferruginous Hawk in a rural area on S.R.
1425 in Hidalgo County and a Rock Wren in western Hidalgo County that had first
been discovered in the Mission-area CBC. Both are life birds for me. The wren
was in an isolated area and I would recommend caution in accessing the site. A
caliche excavation site operates there on weekdays.
The juvenile hawk was perched atop a dirt mound just north of the Sugar Mill on
1425, close to the roadside. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology states that the
bird's preferred habitats include mounds in open desert. Interestingly, this
hawk remained perched on the mound while a great deal of noisy excavation work
being done by heavy machinery nearby. The hawk was quite confiding and allowed
me to observe and photograph it for several minutes. It did not seem bothered
by the high level of human activity going on around it. It finally flew to
another area farther back from the road.

Hawk and wren photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/sets/72157638997525185/

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo