[texbirds] Re: RFI Hooded Warbler song

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 14:55:42 -0500

I haven't heard Hooded Warblers sing in the fall, but I hear Swainson's
Warbler singing in early September occasionally in Smith County
(pineywoods, NE Texas) and at Richland Creek WMA (Freestone county,
north-central Texas). They sing half-heartedly, with shorter snatches of
song than in spring, and sometimes sound very odd initially, before they
get "warmed up." Not sure why this happens though there is some speculation
on the web (hormonal changes, responses to changes in length of day, etc).
I presume that if Swainson's Warblers do it, Hooded Warblers can also.
Peter Barnes
Tyler