[texbirds] Re: RFI: Black Rail

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:57:49 -0600

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> where the few that summer seem to try to breed .   They do rail searches up
> in Chambers Co. though (contact David Sarkozi on that).  I and a few others
> are way past giving up other locations for them anymore....And I mean no

Black Rails have been scarce at Anahuac since Hurricane Ike, although
the population is rebounding it seems. the refuge biologist banded one
this summer while banding ducks. I heard one last spring, and there
are a couple of other reports from around the Yellow Rail prairie.

There is a stunning sequence of photos on Flickr of a Black Rail at
Anahuac in Oct 2011.

Playing recordings is prohibited at Anahuac, but walking the road by
the yellow rail prairie right before dawn and right after sunset could
be productive.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX