[texbirds] Quintana - flock of six GB Ani

  • From: Nina Rach <nrach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds Freelist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 07:27:07 +0000 (UTC)

Groove-billed Ani flock near the main entrance of Quintana Neotropical Bird
Sanctuary on Thursday afternoon. They were staying low and occasionally
dropping to the grass to feed. We saw six birds in flock, staying together.
Would have been happy to see just one; six was completely unexpected! Also had
female Indigo Buntings, Painted Bunting, Rose-breasted Grosbeak (first winter
male), Gray Catbird, Eastern Phoebe, Wilson's Warbler, Common Yellowthroat,
hummers.
We spent an hour at the nearby Xeriscape Park earlier in the afternoon and
saw/heard no Anis there. Lots of swallows, though, as well as a pair of
Kestrels, Lincoln's Sparrows, Indigo Buntings, Vermilion Flycatchers, etc.
On Quintana Beach, between the jetty and the pier, there were a lot of
interesting (non LAGU) gulls, including Lesser Black-backed, Herring,
Ring-billed.
Nina Rach
Houston