[texbirds] Re: Prairie Chickens in Houston area late 60's early 70's

  • From: James Barnes <txbarnowl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stennie Meadours <Stenmead@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 14:30:20 -0600

I've been thinking it was somewhere in Galveston County.
I'll still have a vivid memory of the house and the elderly couple, but
check marks and some basic notes in his old Peterson guide were the extent
of my Dad's record keeping.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM, <Stenmead@xxxxxxx> wrote:

There was a good sized flock near the Dickinson Airport in the early 80s
where I saw them booming. Later< USFWS relocated some of this flock. In
the 90's remanents of this flock were found in what is now Texas City
Prairie Preserve. Some of my Galveston friends report in the 60's there
would be so many on the road HWY 146, they would have to slow down and wait
for the p. chickens to get off the road.

Could the farm have been in the Clear Lake, Dickinson area?

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 11/13/2015 1:30:44 P.M. Central America Standard ,
txbarnowl@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello everyone,
Do any of you old timers in the Houston area remember a location close to
Houston on someone's farm which had a lek in their back yard?

I remember going to someone's house with my Dad and sitting in the kitchen
watching the PC's boom and dance.

Just curious.

Thanks!

--
James Barnes
Missouri City, Fort Bend, Texas

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission