[texbirds] Padre Island National Seashore - Sunday, June 21st

  • From: "Willie Sekula" <williebird22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 22:17:33 -0500

Kim Garwood and I birded Padre Island National Seashore (Kleberg County)
today. The marshes are still very full of water. We did not see the Eared
Grebes or American Bitter that we had on June 13th.

Birds of note today:
Common Loon 1 (washed up beach just below Malachite; we alerted the Turtle
Patrol folks on the way down the beach, it wasn't present on the way back,
I'm assuming they picked it up for rehab - photographed)
Western Sandpiper 2 (Bird Island Basin - photographed)
Marbled Godwit 7 (seen on beach below Malachite - seems early especially for
this number)
Common Tern 7 (1 Bird Island Basin, 1 Visitor Center Parking Lot, 5 on beach
below Malachite - photographed)
Sanderling 75+ along the beach

We also checked the Port Aransas Birding Center. The only bird of note was
a female Northern Pintail.

We tallied over 100 Wood Storks along Carbon Plant Road on the way home.

Willie Sekula
Falls City