[texbirds] Wood Storks in Colorado County

  • From: Terry Woodward <woodwardtr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 21:30:39 -0500

Spent the afternoon wandering around a family members farm just of the
Colorado River in Columbus. The were more birds out in the July heat than
I had expected. It was fun to watch Painted Buntings stripping seeds off
the grass in the Hay Meadows. Thousands of dragonflies and damselflies
were attracting Mississippi Kites. Mid-afternoon a large kettle of just
over 200 Wood Storks appeared above the river, they spiraled on the
thermals to a great height and then disappeared due North. I suspect they
were post breeders about to set off wandering.
I managed a few photos, for those interested in such things they can be
found here:

http://naturescope.smugmug.com/Nature/Newest/

Terry Woodward
Katy