[texbirds] Re: Northeast Austin gulls - California and Lesser Black-backed

  • From: Russ Nelson <austinlistener@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 18:00:13 -0600

Back in my working-stiff days, my work location was off Cross Park Drive
in Northeast Austin, basically in a direct line between the dump where
you saw the gulls and Lake Travis.  Several times in winter, I would see
large flocks of westward bound gulls (white/light headed and medium
sized - probably Ring-billed) just before the sun began to set (and as I
was walking out to my car to go home.)  I was never able to see them on
the eastbound leg, supposedly in the morning, mostly because I was
inside before the sun rose (working is such and drag!)

So it would seem that your description of a daily flight pattern might
be accurate.

Russell Nelson
Austin