[texbirds] Matagorda County - LTDU update and local interest

  • From: Ruth Friedrichs <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 18:26:11 -0800 (PST)

 Texbirders:
Tom Toporowski and I re-found the Long-tailed Duck this morning at 10 am.  It
was about 200 yards out in the Tres Palacios bay, in front of 1511 East
Bayshore Dr. We had good looks as the bird was much more cooperative today.  We
also had Common Goldeneye, Horned Grebe and the other usual suspects on the bay.

We also birded the STP wetlands, where we had some late Wilson's Phalarope and
Stilt Sandpiper near the west gate of STP.  We also had good looks at
Canvasback from the wetland parking lot further east.  There was a really
cooperative Peregrine Falcon perched on the irrigation pipes at the Citrus Rd
sod farms.  We ended with a Say's Phoebe along Holsworth Rd; a nice find this
far east.

Good birding!
Bob Friedrichs,
Palacios / Houston