[texbirds] Waller County - Late hangers on and local stuff

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:25:01 -0600

This afternoon I got in a horseback survey of a couple of pastures while
moving cattle.  Found a late scissortail flycatcher, and down at pine lake a
roseate spoonbill.  Both a bit late for my neck of the woods.  The other
late hangers on for my place is a flock of white ibis that are roosting with
the usual black-crowned night herons and great egrets that always roost on
the pond by the house.  As to winter arrivals nothing but the usual stuff so
far other than it seems like we have more red-tailed hawks than usual, but
that may be perception more than reality.  Goodness knows there are enough
field rats around to keep them fed.  Did have an interesting red-winged
blackbird yesterday.  It was a female with a mostly white head.  If not for
the three other RW blackbirds in the same dead bush I might have been
confused by that one.

Harvey Laas

10 miles N of Brookshire

Where did all this wet dirt come from? Oh yeah, it's called mud.