[texbirds] Lubbock: Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Clapp Park and others

  • From: peter keyel <labtroglodyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 07:55:45 -0700 (PDT)

The ducks are finally returning to Lubbock in some numbers. Clapp Park has some
water in all three ponds and there was a decent variety of waterfowl, mostly
dabblers, on them. Highlights on Friday evening and Saturday included a
BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING-DUCK hanging out near some NORTHERN PINTAIL near the
the north end of the main pond. Other dabblers included AMERICAN WIGEON,
GADWALL, BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a couple of NORTHERN SHOVELERS. The only diving
ducks I saw was a nice male REDHEAD and some RING-NECKED DUCKS.

There were very few passerines aside from a small army of RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS
on Friday. I couldn't pull any yellow-headeds out. I also had a MERLIN make a
few passes over me.

FERRUGINOUS HAWKS have also returned to the Boles Rd area east of Lubbock.

Peter Keyel
Lubbock, TX
labtroglodyte@xxxxxxxxx

"Gonna buy a fast car