[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point hawk count, 26 October

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 08:44:13 -0500

Hi all:
With it currently raining buckets here, I find myself with some time to report
yesterday's results.

An early clear sky gave way to a lovely scattering of puffy white with NE wind,
a good recipe for hawks to count!  Unfortunately, the wind started swinging
more E and then (toll the bells) S.

A juvenile dark-morph Broad-winged Hawk put on a couple of appearances, even
landing in NE Motte!  However, it perched with its back to the tower and was
mostly hidden by vegetation.  Ah, well.  However, photos showed that it was an
individual different from all those that I'd previously photographed here (see
http://smithpointhawkwatch.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/dark-morph-broad-winged-hawks/),
 with a notch in a right-side rectrix and extensive brown streaking on its
black underparts.  The juvenile Peregrine Falcon from the 25th perched in one
of the snags iff to the W for most of the morning, allowing for much ogling by
a visiting school group.  Joe kicked up a juvenile light Broad-winged that then
perched in the same snag with the Peregrine!

Raptors counted:
Turkey Vulture - 63
Osprey - 2
Northern Harrier - 15
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 21
Cooper's Hawk - 19
Bald Eagle - 1 (juvenile; sorry, Marcy!)
Broad-winged Hawk - 172
Swainson's Hawk - 7
Red-tailed Hawk - 1 (adult)
American Kestrel - 32
Total - 333

Another 526 American White Pelicans flew by (in 23 flocks), continuing the
excellent recent showing.  However, nary a goose, swan, or duck made it on to
the day's list (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15497756).  The
four Ruby-throated Hummers tarrying at the tower included the continuing very
late adult male.  Neither of the previous day's Black-chinned Hummers put in an
appearance.  A Lark Sparrow was the first that I'd seen here since September
and my only sparrow of the day; Joe saw a second Lark Sparrow.  The Blue Jay
flight has slowed to a trickle, but meadowlarks continue to fly past, though
most get by unidentified to species.

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering