[texbirds] Immature Reddish Egret (?) at Lake Somerville today

  • From: Bill Wright <wmewrght@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:17:06 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Texbirders,

I wasn't drinking anything stronger than iced tea! I have posted two photos at <http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrightbirder/sets/72157630575578504/>

I saw this dark heron/egret standing close to a Great Egret. I focused my binoculars and mentally went through what kind of heron/egret this was. It kind of looked like a Reddish Egret, but what would it be doing at Welsh Park on Lake Somerville?

It was smaller than the Great Egret. It was too small for a Great Blue and didn't look like one anyway. I started comparing the field marks with the field guide: dark bill and lores, and grey legs. Sibley says the back is "unique pale chalky color." I am not sure what that means but this bird's back looked like Sibley's picture. There was a reddish cast to the underside of the neck and to the head. Am I correct that this is an immature Reddish Egret?

It did not have the typical Reddish Egret foraging behavior.

I also saw three Orchard Orioles in the park, two males and one female, bathing in a water puddle on the side of the road. Looks like this is the first eBird record for OROR in Burleson County.

Bill Wright
Houston, TX
Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds