[texbirds] Valley Golden-cheek, Martins

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:11:33 -0500

  I sent a note out to this list on the 12th that has bounced back to me 3
times as "delayed" so some of this is belated...and a much shorter
version.  The usual hilites in the Valley, but one nice find was that of an
adult male Golden-cheeked Warbler (migrant) on U.S. government property
near Progresso.  Fall GCWAs in transit are tough to find and seldom stay
put in the fall.   This is only the second I have ever had in S. Tex....The
other was a bird at Laguna Atascosa 10-12 years ago on July 4 with John Gee
and Phil R..  The bird on the 12th was looked for ~24 hours, after a nice
rain, later by me and others but was not refound.

  Not far from this location was a fem. type Yellow-headed Blackbird.
Otherwise I enjoy all the birds but those are the most notable.

  Young purple Martins continue to be fed by parents in nest gourds in Port
O'Connor even though some human landlords have already cleaned and packed
up all their housing and gourds for the winter.   So those big roosts
elsewhere can anticipate another few dozen birds soon.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist