[texbirds] Hazel Bazemore Hawkwatch...

  • From: Dane Ferrell <daneferrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: this is new Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 00:08:13 -0400

On 09/14 we counted 7891 migrating Raptors... Mostly Broad-winged Hawks, but we
also tallied 47 Mississippi Kites...

2012 Season Numbers(through 09/14):

Broad-winged Hawks = 24,729

Mississippi Kites = 23,784

Swallow-tailed Kites = 103

American Kestrels = 73

Ospreys = 46

Cooper's Hawks = 34

Northern Harriers = 29

Swainson's Hawks = 27

Sharp-shinned Hawks = 16

Peregrine Falcons = 11

Merlins = 4

Turkey Vultures = 4

White-tailed Hawks = 3

Bald Eagles = 1

Crested Caracaras = 1

Prairie Falcons = 1

Red-tailed Hawks = 1

Short-tailed Hawks = 1

White-tailed Kites = 1

Zone-tailed Hawks = 1

Unidentified Raptors = 31

Total = 48,901

Notes: Another front approaching... Want to see some Raptors? Come and see
us... Recent non-Raptor highlights include Northern Waterthrush, Wilson's
Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat, Baltimore Oriole, Solitary
Sandpiper.

The local Passerine community and all Birders whom visit  Hazel Bazemore County
Park should thank Bob Creglow and Kevin Georg.  Volunteer Bob puts out gourmet
seed and maintains our drip on a daily basis. Hawkwatch observer Kevin Georg
labors daily to keep our resident and migrant Hummingbirds well fed. You are
both awesome - Bob and Kevin Rock...

Lastly - a bit of commentary: It has been suggested in the past that it would
be nice if Hawkwatchers could and would photograph some of the "rarities' that
are seen from the Hawkwatch. Unfortunately, photographers are not always
present when needed. So, speaking for myself (and unofficially for my fellow
Hawkwatchers): if some generous soul(or souls), upon reading this, wish to
donate a high-powered  camera(with lens), to Hawkwatch International - please,
please, please do so. Make sure to specify that said donation is specifically
for use at Hazel Bazemore Hawkwatch in Corpus Christi, Texas. I will then do my
best to learn how to use this camera, and also try very hard to photograph not
just "rarities", but some other way-cool stuff as well.

Hazel Rocks...

Dane Ferrell
Corpus Christi Hawkwatch at Hazel Bazemore County Park
Corpus Christi,TX