[texbirds] Harris's Sparrow, Brewster Co

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:42:28 -0500

After getting blown away at the prairie dog town (literally blown
away, with intermittent rain drops for good measure) with zero birds,
Andrew and Joanne Hogan and I moseyed around Post Park for long enough
to get really, really, really cold and then stopped for a quick trot
through the Gage Gardens before noon... nowhere near as birdy as Post,
but we did pick one Harris's Sparrow out of the Lincoln's,
White-crowneds, and House Sparrows.

I need to get back out there with a camera because I'd like to compare
it to the last Harris's Sparrow that wintered there; looks like it's
the same bird, but I could be jumping to conclusions. Anyway, pretty
neat!

Yesterday's adventures at Post Park were similar to today's, but less
windy - the usual suspects are around but at least TWO Black Phoebes
are still here... up from a high count of zero for much of the last
two years.

The private ponds on the SW side of town had a whopping 7 Ring-billed
Gulls yesterday with 4 American Avocets and a good mix of waterfowl.
Spring is finally springing, I guess.

Cold and blustery otherwise....

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain