[texbirds] Godwits and other birds yesterday

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:53:37 -0500

I got down to the godwit patch a little after 7am and the bird was there
for the next couple of hours. I left and went birding and got back about 1
to find that it had left and was watched disappearing over the horizon to
the east. Other left and I finally decided to fool the bird by appearing to
leave. Drove around a little and came back and parked. A few minutes later
all of the hudsonian and black-tailed godwits returned as did the other
birders after a bit. Come in the am for good light.

The black-tailed always stayed well back in the impoundments and so is not
a tame bird that wanders around your feet. He will fly or helicopter
showing the underwings if one is patient. You have to just catch the
hudsonians flying to see their dark underwings. To me, the winter plumaged
hudsonians are almost but not quite as unusual as the black-tail and I have
never seen it in Texas.

Note that the water in the impoundment is rain water from the very local
deluge of a couple of weeks ago and when it is gone, it will go dry. The
water district is short water and it is expensive. The refuge spent much
money to maintain the property during the winter for birds and birders.

There were other lingering shorebirds including 25-30 white-rumped
sandpipers, at least 1 least sandpiper, a couple of pectoral sandpipers,
maybe a dowitcher, 4 lesser yellowlegs and others saw a couple more
species. All of the shorebirds as well as the godwits periodically left the
area going to the east or to another water area to the west.

Lots of other birds at the spot. All 3 teal species in the scope at once
plus black-bellied whistling duck and northern shoveler and lesser scaup.
Wandering the county added fulvous whistling duck and ruddy duck for 8
species for the day. Many spoonbills, herons, and my earliest ever wood
storks. I had lots of false alarms with white ibis appearing to have dark
heads for a while. Note that the ibis are in heavy molt but still have
bright red bodies. Many have shed much of their small body and neck
feathers so that the bright red skin shows through. Birds in the glare seem
brown or even blackish where lots of feathers are gone.

While watching the godwits, a single tree swallow made a couple of passes
over the area. I went looking for more tree swallows in the area and found
3 pairs with a pair defined as two birds consistently flying side by side
over time. But I saw none going to nests or potential nest; only one was in
an area with apparent woodpecker holes or woodpeckers.

Further west an osprey was lingering at Demi-john island. Other hawks
included a swainson's with a rat and a red-tail.

Then checked the monk parakeets in Freeport which are doing well. There are
many older palm trees in the area mixed with other trees and so I check
many for hooded orioles without any luck. There are many more trees that
could be checked on the theory that if you provide habitat the birds will
come.

I also checked mockingbirds for evidence of captivity or improperly
traveling. Was able to get a good look at the netherparts of 19 mockers
with either 7 or 8 showing signs of extensive wear. Mockingbird tail
feathers are about 10 months old and will be molted later this summer.

Freeport wetlands had lots of coots but no ducks other than black-bellied
whistling ducks. The Quintana beach was hard to drive with deep gulfweed
and loose sand. They have brought in a bulldozer to clear some. The tide
was up and lapping on a cliff of week 12-18 inches high so little habitat
for shorebirds. Did have 3 knots fly by arguing loudly with 2 clasping
bills in flight. Water at the lagoons is very high but lots of black terns.
Many tern also on the beach near the pier. Neotropic had no migrants.

The lagoon on the hurricane levee had several lingering ruddy ducks,
avocets and lots of fulvous whistling ducks plus coots.

As mentioned, Rogers Pond in the traditional part of Brazoria refuge was
dry but the other ponds had many birds with large numbers of spoonbills,
ibis, black and gull-billed terns etc. They were in the back as there had
just been bus traffic through the area. Great habitat just waiting for more
rarities.

Had a bumblebee fly in the car window and hit me in the face. No sting but
discovered that bumblebee hair is an extreme irritant and itches like
crazy. Had read about it and it is true. Really good birds out there.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston