[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point hawk count, 14 September

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:31:08 -0500

Hi all:
With the occluded front just north of here, I got to the tower early in hopes
that a reasonable number of landbirds would cross through the front and provide
some early fun.  Well, Dickcissels made an effort, but not much else did.

Thanks to Joe Kennedy for spelling me for a couple hours so that I could get
some other work done.  He tells me that the morning liftoff was a bit more
boring than ho-hum.  However, the day's hawk count turned out not so bad, as we
more than doubled the previous high for the season, not that that is saying all
that much.  We wound up with 429, thanks, primarily, to a big late push of
Mississippi Kites (164 in the 3-4 pm hour!).  Two Swallow-tailed Kites and four
Ospreys were the other raptor highlights.

At least one Rufous Hummer showed briefly, but long enough for me to get pox to
prove the ID.

The wireless Internet access that I usually use to post to the blog was down
this evening, so I haven't gotten that done and don't know that I will for a
day or three (the restaurant is not open on Sunday, and the mozzies are too bad
to sit out on the porch there to use the wireless, even if it were working).

I suspect with the late kite push that there will be a reasonable liftoff
tomorrow AM, which usually starts between 9 and 9:30 am.

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Smith Point, TX