[texbirds] Goodies in Lubbock - yesterday and today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 18:05:33 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
Yesterday, after putting in a long day at work (5:30 to 5:30 - I love practical
exam day!), I got a call from Phillip Kite with the energizing news that he had
seen not one, but three, Eastern Kingbirds at the Lubbock State School.  I
quickly boogied out to the site and, without violating any rules regarding
entry to the restricted site, was able to locate one Eastern Kingbird on the
fence line along Kent Avenue.  Other nifty birds at the site: 16 Burrowing
Owls, 11 Chipping Sparrows, and 2 Clay-colored Sparrows.

As I was already out there I put in a quick twenty minutes at the
sunflower-laden creek crossing near the entrance to Lubbock Lake Landmark.
Highlights there sixteen species of butterflies nectaring at the wide variety
of blossoms.  The good birds included 1 Nashville Warbler and 3 female Painted
Buntings.

On the way home I spent twenty minutes at the productively drying down Maxey
Park, picking up the following highlights: 1 Ruddy Duck, 2 Snowy Egrets, 10
Black-necked Stilts, 2 American Avocets, 2 Spotted Sandpipers, and 1 Wilson's
Phalarope.

Not bad for a quick hour or so of Friday night birding in Lubbock.

I spent the bulk of today working on the interminable house-painting as well as
some yard work but did get out for a quick hour of birding, covering Quaker
Avenue from South Loop 289 to North Loop 289.  Highlights included 1 Wood Duck,
2 Great Egrets, 32 Snowy Egrets, and 6 Cattle Egrets at Leroy Elmore Park; 2
Snowy Egrets, 7 Black-necked Stilts, and 1 Spotted Sandpiper at Maxey Park; a
flock of 7 Sandhill Cranes heard from the Market Street United parking lot
while scanning the pond across the way for goodies; 1 male Bronzed Cowbird near
Quaker Avenue and 4th Street.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock