[texbirds] Re: HotSpot Name change? (apologies to those non-ebirders)

  • From: Berner Family <jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 19:07:01 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders:

First apologies for plugging up your inbox if you do not use ebird with this
post but I can't let incorrect public charges from one of our most rejected
ebird list submitters go unanswered.

Vicki is incorrect. A ebird hotspot name change does absoloutely nothing to
change the existing lists. Any list previously attached to the location is
still attached.  Ideally instead of sending misinformed rants to 2000
Texbirders--an offline email would be best.

If your lists are not attached to the hotspot--you probably still have them
attached to a personal location. Simply follow the instructions I posted to
texbirds to combine your personal location into the hotspot.

Also,  for common sounding hotspot names--a county or city modifier mught still
be a good idea (e.g Bear Creek Park (there are two in the state), Memorial
Park, etc.).  The link below is the complete list of existing hotspots. Note
that, I try to put the city name first

http://ebird.org/ebird/tx/GuideMe?reportType=location&bMonth&bYear00&eMonth&eYear

13&parentState=US-TX&countries=US&states=US-TX&getLocations=hotspots&continue.xI&continue.y=4
As there are almost 1500 hotspots in texas, inevitably some need to have their
names improved. Cornell just this week sent out new guidance indicating we
should use the county name in the title more sparingly. Just this week, i went
in and updated about 30 of the hotspots removing the county name but so far
have left the county name when
1)  the location could be confused due to a common name. Lakeside park is a
common enough sounding name that some sort of additional place identifier
(county or city)  is required in case there is another lakeside park somewhere.

or 2) if the location stretches across two counties (many reservoirs) or

3) roads within a county

Unfortunately, despite the fact that hotspot name changes and location fixes
are easily made if someone emails me offline, apparently the angry minority
apparently feels like they must be heard publicly, even when incorrect.

However, in the way of an olive branch i will change the name to

Woodlands- Lakeside Park.

thanks

John Berner
Highly compensated Texas ebird hotspot reviewer