[texbirds] End of our trip... 227 species - Highligts... Golden-Cheecked Warbler: YES!

  • From: "Serge Beaudette." <sbnature@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbird" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 13:48:02 -0400

Hello All!!!

My group and I are now at San Antonio Airport... and our GREAT trip is
finished!

We "close" with a GREAT sighting of Golden-Cheeked Warbles: 3 males (1
singing and 2 chipping call) and 1 female who harvest some material to build
a nest! WOW!!! Unbelievable!

Just before, we discovered the really beautiful site of Warble Woods and
their very generous owners, Don and Susan (thanks a lot), with a lot of
Sparrows: Grasshopper, Verper, Clay-colored, Field, Savannah,
White-Throated, White-Crowned, Chipping, Spotted Tohi,... and my second
lifer of this 4th trip here, the Carolina Chickadee!!! (The other one is
Scott's Oriole at Falcon County Park!)

Total of 227 species!!!

The only species that we didn't find and expected is: Fulvous Whistling
Duck, Tropical Kingbird, Audubon Oriole and White-collared Seedeater (we
missed time to go at the best place in Laredo...)

Here, our best sightings:
Canvasback
Gray Hawk (2... one with a prey)
Whooping Crane (16!)
American Golden-Plover (more than 40!)
Wilson's Plover
Whimbrel
Franklin's Gull
Red-billed Pigeon (10)
Elf Owl (4 hearded)
Aplomado Falcon (too fast...)
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet (3: Santa Ana and Bentsen)
Vermilion Flycatcher (2 males, 3 females)
Carolina Chickadee
Gray-cheeked Thrush (an unattended at Blucher park!!!)
Clay-colored Thrush (6)
Worm-eating Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush (9)
Cassin's Sparrow (some!)
Clay-colored Sparrow (many)
Field Sparrow (2)
Vesper Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird (50+!!!)
Brewer's Blackbird (1 Sabal Palm)
Bronzed Cowbird (3)
Orchard Oriole
Scott's Oriole (Falcon County Park)

And the complete list:
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Mottled Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback
Redhead
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Plain Chachalaca
Northern Bobwhite
Ring-necked Pheasant
Wild Turkey
Least Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Northern Gannet
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Anhinga
American White Pelican
Brown Pelican
American Bittern
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Reddish Egret
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
White Ibis
White-faced Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
White-tailed Kite
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Harris's Hawk
White-tailed Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Gray Hawk
Swainson's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Clapper Rail
Sora
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Whooping Crane
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
American Oystercatcher
Black-bellied Plover
American Golden-Plover
Wilson's Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Willet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Whimbrel
Long-billed Curlew
Marbled Godwit
Ruddy Turnstone
Stilt Sandpiper
Sanderling
Dunlin
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Bonaparte's Gull
Laughing Gull
Franklin's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Least Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Caspian Tern
Common Tern
Forster's Tern
Royal Tern
Sandwich Tern
Black Skimmer
Rock Pigeon
Red-billed Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
White-winged Dove
Mourning Dove
Inca Dove
Common Ground-Dove
White-tipped Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Eastern Screech-Owl
Great Horned Owl
Elf Owl
Common Pauraque
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
Ringed Kingfisher
Belted Kingfisher
Green Kingfisher
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Crested Caracara
American Kestrel
Merlin
Aplomado Falcon
Peregrine Falcon
Monk Parakeet
Green Parakeet
Red-crowned Parrot
Yellow-headed Parrot
Red-lored Parrot
Lilas-crowned Parrot
White-fronted Parrot
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet
Black Phoebe
Eastern Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Great Crested Flycatcher
Great Kiskadee
Couch's Kingbird
Eastern Kingbird
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Loggerhead Shrike
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Green Jay
Chihuahuan Raven
Horned Lark
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Cave Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Black-crested Titmouse
Verdin
House Wren
Marsh Wren
Carolina Wren
Bewick's Wren
Cactus Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Clay-colored Thrush
Gray Catbird
Curve-billed Thrasher
Brown Thrasher
Long-billed Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Worm-eating Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
Northern Parula
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Golden-cheeked Warbler
Olive Sparrow
Spotted Towhee
Cassin's Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Black-throated Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Pyrrhuloxia
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Bronzed Cowbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
Hooded Oriole
Altamira Oriole
Scott's Oriole
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

I want to thanks Huck from Estero Llano, Mark and Joanie from Santa Ana who
gave me many helpful information, Susan and Don from Warbler Woods,
Madeleine Sandfur for their numerous help before and during the trip, Roy at
Bentsen, and EVERYBODY who answer to our questions on the forum, the people
I met in the field!!!

...It's ALWAYS a GREAT pleasure to be in Texas and meet you all... and read
the messages here!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!! ...and see you next time... maybe next year!

Serge-and-their-very-satisfied-birders!!!
Sherbrooke, QUEBEC, CANADA