[texbirds] Re: Early Warblers, Rio Grande Valley

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 15:19:05 -0500

Back a good while ago when I was more enthusiastic and tolerant of bugs, I
did weekly trips to the coastal migrant traps starting in the last week of
July. Over time I had a dozen species of warblers by this date. Several
more would be added to the list by the middle of next week. A good part of
the Louisiana waterthrushes are gone or going as are the golden-cheeks from
the hill country. And Colima are likely gone from big bend. Some like
swainson's may make a big jump from the nesting grounds south directly so
are not seen normally in coastal traps. Cerulean warblers peak around the
21st but go southeast and most seem to miss here or me anyway.
But there are more migrants out there every day. Some may not be migrants
per se but wanderering birds that no longer keep territories and are
looking for food or birds going to molt as male painted buntings from at
least central texas which go to the west coast of mexico to molt and then
come back east.

A fall cold front can even be better than a spring one but the timing is
different. Birds move with and after the front using the wind of the front
to migrate so the front that came through brought birds with it.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello Texbirders,
> In the past week I've seen 2 warblers that have been flagged as rare on
> ebird for time of year at two different Birding Centers here in Hidalgo
> County, LRGV.
>
> 8/2 A female Hooded Warbler at the Edinburg Scenic Wetlands.
> 8/5 A female American Redstart at Quinta Mazatlan
>

> Looked on ebird and there are no confirmed sightings of either species this
> early in the LRGV except for one of a Hooded Warbler at Laguna Atascosa
> 7/4/13, another of a Hooded at Santa Ana 8/6/10, and the earliest for
> American Redstart on 8/13/06. There are some records not much longer after
> those, and then much more in the middle and end of the month, but none for
> the beginning.
>
> Maybe some are moving a bit early this year?? Maybe they are just going
> unconfirmed on ebird? Maybe we just haven't come across them? Anyone else
> have any similar sightings? Just curious.
>
> Thanks,
> Javi Gonzalez
> San Juan, TX

Joseph C. Kennedy