[texbirds] Re: Considering a TEXBIRDS rule change, your feedback is wanted

  • From: Bob Friedrichs <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: david@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 15:20:23 -0600

David,
Thanks for posing this question to the Listserv.  I personally like seeing
the birders location in the post.  I don't know everyone who posts on
Texbirds nor sometimes the location or hot spot where they birded.  Seeing
the location/town/city of the birder at the bottom of the post helps me put
the sighting in perspective and also decide if I want to learn more about
the sighting or the location where they birded.

However, I understand the difficulty of 'policing' such a thing.  Perhaps
still 'requiring' it with minimal policing by you is an option.  The
Texbirds community could also possibly help with holding each othjer
accountable.....if others agree.  We're generally not a bashful lot :-)

My 2 cents

Thanks!
Bob Friedrichs
Palacios, most weekends
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM, David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm considering getting rid of the requirement that you end your
> message with both your full name and location. I would drop the
> requirement for the location. A lot of people have been leaving out
> the location and for sure the earth has not stopped spinning and there
> are still birds to see.
>
> While it has some value I think with knowing where people are from in
> putting a sighting in context and to separate two people with similar
> names it has just become pain to try police if its not adding value
> for the majority of readers.
>
> Most of the people that post are reasonably well known so the context
> thing isn't that big a deal. If you think you're being confused with
> someone else you can certainly put your location in your signature.
>
> I will certainly keep the requirement to sign with your full name
> because so many people don't have their name in there email address.
>
> So what do you think, does the location add value to you?
>

> --

 Bob Friedrichs
Houston / Palacios