[texbirds] Re: McKittrick Wren sounds

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 15:12:13 -0600

Based on my experience, I don't judge the "twittering" or what I
referring to as constant hummingbird-like rolling/trilling to be
useful in species determination for this pair.  I recorded a Winter
Wren in November 2011 along the Colorado River at Hornsby (in Austin),
that gave both the twittering and typical Winter Wren chimp-chimp call
notes, some recordings are here:

    http://emyadestes.com/temp/HornsbyWren/

All the recordings there involve only 1 bird and you can hear on clip
"b" both the twittering and what I think are diagnostic Winter Wren
calls consecutively.  I heard this same bird again in winter 2012 &
winter 2013 but have not tried for it this winter.

In addition, I've had a Winter Wren in our backyard (southwest Austin)
the past 3 winters that I've also audio-recorded doing both the
constant rolling/twittering and the spaced Winter Wren calls.  I had
not heard or seen the bird this winter yet until last Wednesday
morning when I went outside to let the dog out and heard the odd
trilling only from our neighbor's back deck; eventually it also did
the more typical/expected Winter Wren calls.

If you go online to find recordings, it seems that there are more of
these with the rolling twittering sequences associated with Pacific
Wren than Winter Wren but I don't think that is indicative of
anything.  It is the spaced chip note(s) and even songs that will be
what helps document this one.  A good comparison of the typical call
notes can be found here:

     http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/774

--
Eric Carpenter
Austin

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have finally gotten around to posting videos of the wren sounds.
> Unfortunately my shotgun mic is kaput and I had to rely on the camera's
> capabilities.
>
> In this first clip you can hear and briefly see the first wren that we
> found. This wren was fairly uniformly cinnamon. In the background you can
> hear the twittering of the second wren that we found. This second wren
> started out making very Winter-like sounds and then changed into this
> twittering. This second bird had a much paler chin.
> http://youtu.be/HD8mYI6SY3w
>
> The second clip has chips from the first bird and twittering from the
> second bird.
> http://youtu.be/dqw8CpkWJZM
>
> This final clip is only the second bird and its twittering.
> http://youtu.be/2mWX5Ew8Ngc
>
> The first bird never did call again while I was there and I lost it soon
> after the recording. The second bird called several times as we were
> looking for the dipper.
>
> I would love some feedback. Anyone that can extract sound from video and
> then analyze it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cameron Carver
> Lubbock, TX

Eric Carpenter
Austin