[texbirds] Re: Bushtits in eastern Edwards Plateau?

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:59:58 -0700 (PDT)

Myself and several other TNC folks had some Bushtits along the Devils River
(Val Verde County) this spring.  Maybe like a handful of sightings.  Those are
not data that would be entered into eBird.  One of the draw backs of eBird
being that as widely as it may be used by birders now, not all data are being
input into it (like a lot scientific survey data); so one needs to be careful
about inferences drawn from it.  I definitely think there are eBird biases.
So, there may be few or even no reports from places like the western Plateau
and north of I-10 on the Plateau, but how many checklists were actually
submitted for those regions, were they submitted from sites likely to have
Bushtits to start with, and more importantly what is the baseline for Bushtits
in those areas based on past checklists (assuming there are any) submitted to
eBird?
Anyway, not sure if western plateau birds would be more tolerant of drought or
not.  It is not a terribly great distance between western and eastern birds
that we are talking about (would eastern Black-capped Vireos be less drought
tolerant than western Black-capped Vireos? Or choose whichever species you want
that has a range across the Plateau and ask the same question).  So, I think
things like drought and precipitation gradients could regulate populations in
some ways (e.g., setting carrying capacities, influencing nest success or
survival, etc.), so there may be differences in population sizes or vital rates
between east and west, but I am not sure you could say western birds are
inherently more or less drought tolerant than eastern birds  Also, we assume
that the drought impacted or is impacting the species but there are certainly
still a lot of junipers on the western Plateau (even if there were extensive
juniper kills), and there is certainly
 still water and food resources .  So, the drought may or may not have impacted
the species as much as we think and any impacts could potentially be on a
pretty small scale or localized.  And, unlike some other species, no one has
seemingly observed an irruption of Bustits any place that would suggest
displacement by drought.  So, I think this drought tolerance question is a
difficult one to answer without better data on the species throughout its
Edwards Plateau range.

I actually probably wouldn't lump the Bushtit and Hutton's Vireo together.  I
think there are key habitat differences.  I see the vireo as being much more of
an oak woodland or oak-juniper species whereas the Bushtit strikes me as more
of a juniper species.  And I think there are other differences that make
comparing the species difficult.  The vireo seems to be a colonizing species
that is actively expanding both its winter and breeding range whereas the range
of the Bushtit seems to be fairly static (even if it is nomadic and sporadic
within that range).  There are different dynamics happening.  I would probably
be more likely to compare the Bushtit with a species like Western Scrub-jay.

Just a few musings,

Rich

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy