[texbirds] Re: Least Tern Dallas

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:00:34 +0000

Tar paper and gravel covered roofs were good nesting sites for nighthawks
Killdeer and at least in Galveston Least Terns. When the rocks took out windows
during hurricane Alicia in downtown Houston they outlawed new roofs of that
construction, so much for all that nice urban bird habitat. While Least Terns
were colonial and that many birds on a single roof made them susceptible to
what Winnie described as a youth I saw the local Weingarten grocery Store in my
neighborhood produce many a Killdeer and Common Nighthawk.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park