[texbirds] Bronze Mannikins at Bear Creek

  • From: Nina Rach <nrach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:38:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 15, I reported a small flock of Bronze Mannikins in Bear Creek Park,
west Harris County.

This afternoon, I found them again, a few hundred feet south of the original
location.
The juveniles have lost the overall cinnamon brown coloration and are taking on
adult plumage. Still look like fluffy sparrows.

I saw 19 at one time, with additional birds vocalizing nearby, for a total
estimate of 24 (could be even more).
They are staying close to the ground, feeding on grass seed right next to the
golf course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autrevie/8129447102/

Nina Rach