[texbirds] Warren Lake ducks

  • From: Albert Shultz <aws2009@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 23:35:37 -0500

We saw hundreds of ducks from the Matt Cook Platform at Warren Lake this
afternoon (near Hockley; Harris County).  That may not be newsworthy, but it
was a welcome change after last year's drought.  The wind was chilly and all
the birds on the water were bobbing around a lot; the majority were on opposite
side and north end of the lake, but some were close enough for good views.
Although we didn't attempt an accurate count, there were scores of Ruddy,
Mottled, Gadwall, Pintail, and Black-bellied Whistling-ducks; and also several
Wigeon, Lesser Scaup, and Ring-necked Ducks.  A Red-breasted Merganser was the
bird of the day -- it spent a good while preening and splashing among a mixed
raft of puddle-ducks.

Al & Kathie Shultz
Katy, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at