[texbirds] Breeding Bird Survey Volunteer Request 2nd

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 07:05:53 -0500

This is my 2nd request for volunteers for the upcoming Breeding Bird Survey
Season which starts in May.  The first request resulted in about 6 routes being
assigned.

Of the 195 routes in Texas, all but 11 have assigned observers.  Seven of the
vacancies are in the Panhandle, 2 in West Texas, 1 in Northeast Texas and 1 in
Southeast Texas.

Thanks for your consideration.

Brent Ortego

BREEDING BIRD SURVEY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

This is my annual  request for volunteer sign-up to conduct roadside breeding
bird surveys (BBS) in Texas during 2013.  For those not familiar with the
survey methodology, the BBS is the national survey which is the primary source
for breeding bird population trends in the nation.  This survey has about 3000
randomly located routes across the United States.  Each route is 24.5 miles
long with 50 stops spaced 0.5 miles apart.  At each stop during a 3 minute
period, the observer tallies all birds seen within ¼ mile and all birds heard.
The route lasts from 30 minutes before sunrise until you finish which is
normally about 11 a.m.  The route needs to be run ONCE each year during the
months of May or June; exact dates vary with each route.  It might require a
pre-survey scouting trip just to familiarize yourself with the route, and a
little paper/computer work after the route is done.  The observer needs to be
able to identify most of the birds along the route by call and all by sight.
Along routes in agricultural areas, this might only mean about 20 species by
call, but in more complex forested areas it might mean 70 species.

National and local conservation organizations very regularly use BBS data (see
www.stateofthebirds.org) in their analysis.  They focus very strongly on
breeding bird population trends generated by YOUR DATA, and also used bird
density data extensively.  Partners In Flight has developed models to estimate
breeding density and distribution for all species they are tracking with BBS
data.  Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has used the data when they
developed a statewide conservation plan for birds  (see
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/pwd_pl_w7000_1187a/) .
Conservation “Joint Ventures” across the nation regularly use BBS data as they
implement their new “All Birds” management goals.  It has been very satisfying
seeing the product of our works being used to influence national and local
decisions on avian conservation.

Texas has 196 BBS routes and 19 vacancies.  The National Office has started
listing routes as vacant when they have not received data from a volunteer for
two years.  If you see your route listed as vacant, check your files and
resubmit your data because the national office has not received it.

 This seems like a lot of routes, but it is not for a state our size.  Due to
the variability of the data, we are trying to run at least 14 routes per
ecological area and there are 10 ecological areas in Texas.  This should
provide us a statistically valid sample of population trends of birds breeding
near highways.  We are getting close to obtaining this sample size in every
bird region except for the Panhnadle and West Texas.  We have problems getting
qualified birders to do routes in the more rural parts of the State.  While
there are plenty of good birders in Texas, the birders are concentrated in
urban areas and the birds are spread throughout the State causing logistics
problems of running routes in remote parts of the Texas.  A classic example is
West Texas and the Panhandle, lots of country and few birders.

When you volunteer, I will need your name, mailing address, e-mail, telephone
number and route of interest.

I am listing below vacant routes by geographic areas.  Those areas with the
largest numbers of vacancies are the areas needing the most help.  If you are
interesting in helping, or would like more information, reply to this e-mail.

PANHANDLE

Route 101             Pantex                   Carson County
Route 102             Texline                   Dallam
Route 103             Waka                     Ochiltree County
Route 104             Booker                   Lipscomb County
Route 179             Haskell                  Haskell County
Route 370             Friona                    Parmer County
Route 374             Twichell                 Ochiltree County

WEST TEXAS

Route 091             Cornudas              Hudsbeth County
Route 099             Slaughter               El Paso County

NORTHCENTRAL TEXAS

No vacancies.  Congratulations!

NORTHEAST TEXAS

Route 358             Gambil Refuge     Lamar County

SOUTHEAST TEXAS

Route 32               Town Bluff           Jasper County

COASTAL PRAIRIE

No vacancies.  Congratulations!

SOUTH TEXAS

No vacancies.  Congratulations!

CENTRAL TEXAS

No vacancies.  Congratulations!

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/results/routemaps/routeMapStatic.html location of
route maps

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/index.cfm?CFID250972&CFTOKEN 845651 raw data
online retrieval system link provides location of species totals by route by
year

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/learning/ BBS procedures and quiz

Brent Ortego
202 Camino Drive