[texbirds] Brazos County Harris's Hawk and other goodies

  • From: Darrell Vollert <dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:41:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Texbirders,
This morning and early afternoon I birded a privately-owned property in the
Peach Creek Community in southern Brazos County. The bird of the day was a
Harris's Hawk. The hawk flew directly over me giving me a view of the white
base on the tail and white on the tip of the tail. Later on in the morning I
obtained a side view of the hawk in flight and saw it perched on a dead tree.
The chestnut-colored patches on the shoulders and brown coloration on the
underside was very visible in the sunlight. This is the first Harris's Hawk
that I have seen in the Central Brazos Valley.
In the neighborhood of 22 American White-Pelicans were observed flying just
above the treeline shortly after I began birding the riverbottom portion of the
property. Another new species for the property list.
Two Yellow-crowned Night Herons were observed. They were FOS birds for me.
A pair of Eastern Phoebes are building a nest in a shed on the property. The
nest is affixed to an electrical plug. A pair of House Finches appear to be
building a nest under the eaves of another building.
Two Sedge Wrens were observed singing amongst the sedges and rushes. I found
one Winter Wren calling on this visit.
Brown Thrashers are singing on the property. I spotted 3 thrashers. Thrasher
numbers have been very low in the Central Brazos Valley this winter.
I observed one Louisiana Waterthrush, heard one Black-and-white Warbler
singing, 2 Orange-crowned Warblers, 5-6 Common Yellowthroats, only two Northern
Parulas singing, and 10+ Yellow-rumped Warblers.
Two Spotted Towhees were observed and heard in a yaupon thicket. Chipping,
Field, Song, Lincoln's, Swamp, and White-throated Sparrows were all singing on
the property this morning.
At least 6 Pine Siskins were observed overhead and two perched briefly. Another
new bird for the property list.
A species that we did not want to add to the property list is House Sparrow.
House Sparrows have taken over a Purple Martin house. Until today, I had not
observed a House Sparrow in the 7.5 years that I have been birding the
property. Civilization is encroaching on the property from the north and west.
An adult male Indigo Bunting continues to be observed at my residence in
Chappell Hill in Washington County. The bunting has been here since February.
Best regards and good birding,
Darrell Vollert
Chappell Hill