[texbirds] Bentsen Bird Walk 3/1/15

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 19:49:52 +0000

Good afternoon,
We had a nice, cool day for a bird walk with tons of birds to see!  We started
off with some great birds at the Nature Center, Altamira Orioles, Clay-colored
Thrush, and plenty of Green Jays.  Not too much at the Resaca, so we headed
towards the Kiskadee Blind, where we saw an Eastern Screech-Owl, Golden-fronted
Woodpecker, and several Olive Sparrows.  We finally saw a Lincoln's Sparrow at
the Green Jay Blind, and more White-tipped Doves.  On the ride around the park,
we sat with a very bold Greater Roadrunner searching for food and had several
Gray Hawks perching in trees.
Species                                                 Count
Plain Chachalaca                               10
Double-crested Cormorant         2
Turkey Vulture                                  4
Gray Hawk                                          2
American Coot                                  1
Common Ground-Dove                3
White-tipped Dove                         12
White-winged Dove                       1
Mourning Dove                                1
Greater Roadrunner                       1
Eastern Screech-Owl                      1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker    2
Ladder-backed Woodpecker      1
Great Kiskadee                                 13
White-eyed Vireo                            1
Green Jay                                            8
Tree Swallow                                     2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher                   1
Clay-colored Thrush                        1
Northern Mockingbird                   1
Orange-crowned Warbler            5
Olive Sparrow                                    4
Lincoln's Sparrow                             3
Northern Cardinal                            8
Red-winged Blackbird                    15
Great-tailed Grackle                       18
Altamira Oriole                                  2
House Sparrow                                 19

Happy Birding!

Hannah Buschert
Park Ranger 1-Naturalist
Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park