[texbirds] Bastrop County Bobolinks etc.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 12:00:55 -0500

.
I did a property in the Cistern (Fayette Co.) - Jeddo (Bastrop Co.) area
this morning for a client and returning from there on a back road, I
encountered a large area of singing male Bobolinks...What a ringing sound
and one I have not heard in a very long time.!! They were singing up a
storm a full 360 around where I stopped, Just incredible! Not a single
female was seen and I can only estimate the number of males at around
100+...They occupied and are almost a mile long. The sound of their songs
was incredible. I have seen many in Texas especially on the coast, but it
is very rare indeed that I get to hear even one singing. Other good finds
for the area included a Buff-bellied Hummingbird, 2 Couch's Kingbirds, a
pair of calling Miss. Kites, several territorial Orchard Orioles, an E.
Phoebe, loads of E. Kingbirds and Dickcissels by the skid load as well as
numerous singing Grasshopper Sparrows. The only warblers seen were Am.
Redstart, a fem. Bay-breasted and a couple of Yellows. Almost forgot about
the ~30 Black Terns feeding over a flooded pasture....Photos of some of the
Bobolinks on Texbirds FB. I enjoy days like this.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/