[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Stenmead" for DMARC)
  • To: jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx, FCollins@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 12:38:28 -0400

My quick view of the poster and first thought was that it was a big
misrepresentation, needed a new purpose/ title and could only serve to
overwhelm
and discourage trying to learn how to find and id bird species. Suggested:
i.e. Artistic representation of a variety of some of the bird species found
in North America.*

*See a Field Guide or internet resources for identifying field marks and
range maps to see which birds live near you.

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 10/30/2015 9:49:03 A.M. Central America Standard ,
jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I received a most unsatisfactory reply from the company. I would
encourage
any of you who feel as strongly about this 'teaching aid' as I do to also
email your concerns to the company.
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3) <
FCollins@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

While the poster is visually attractive and demonstrates the great
diversity of birds in the USA, it is unfortunately typical of what passes
for educational materials. It is misleading, the small stylized birds
have
little resemblance to the actual birds and the advertising dialogue is as
Jim states. And we wonder why the nation's youth are poorly educated?

Oh for the days of one room school houses. That is why so many families
are turning to home schooling. Fortunately many families attend out
nature
classes which include outdoor activities where the see and experience the
real deal.

If you want to help kids learn about birds, take them birding. If you
want
them to see the diversity of birds, take them to the zoo.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324