[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT

  • From: Beth McBroom <bethmcb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:31:48 -0500

Consider the source. The company name is *Pop* Chart Lab and the owners
are a graphic artist and book editor, not ornithologists.
I think it's a cool poster and looking at it reminds me of a few new birds
I'd really like to see and brings back memories of birds I have seen.
Though I didn't see anything on the website that indicates they market to
educational institutions, perhaps if students see it hanging on the wall of
their classroom, they will be motivated to find out more about these
beautiful and varied creatures. With further investigation, they may learn
a lesson about evaluating publications with a more critical eye. With more
time, I'd try to figure out which birds Jim says were left out and learn
something myself.

Here's the description from the seller's website:

Perhaps our most ambitious taxonomical undertaking yet, this is your field
guide to EVERY bird of North America! The product of over 400 hours of
intricate illustration work by our talented team of artists, this
unabridged aviary features over 740 fair-feathered friends drawn to scale
and sorted by species, covering the continent’s complete avifauna (both
native and introduced, as designated by the National Audubon Society and
the Cornell Lab of Ornithology) from common sparrows, jays, and owls to
rarer birds such as the Greater Sage-Grouse, the California Condor, and the
Whooping Crane. An ornithological opus like no other, this classificatory
treasure is perfect for amateur and eagle-eyed birdwatchers alike.

Each poster comes packaged in a Pop Chart Lab Test Tube. See the menu to
the right for finishing options, and please note that framed prints require
an additional 3-4 business days of processing time.

Using 100 lb. archival stock certified by The Forest Stewardship Council,
this poster is pressed in Long Island City with vegetable-based inks.

Beth McBroom
​Helotes, TX ​

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think I found my Christmas gift for this year...Santa willing! This is
too cool. All 730 birds of No Amer on one poster. ;)

http://popchartlab.com/products/birds-of-north-america?trk_msg=7INTUDR6643KD1GQ6QLVPLTU34&trk_contact=KDREVP9TKL6FTD3LK9CVIDVIUG&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Sure+to+be+critically+ac-craned&utm_campaign=Birds

oh yeah, and to fulfill the basic requirements: the Sandhills and and
Teal are flying over for the past couple of days. May try to get to
Brazoria NWR this weekend, weather permitting Sunday? to catch a
glimpse of the Whooper.

--
Monte Phillips -
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips