[texbirds] American Black DuckrRecords from Texas

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 18:14:33 +0000

From Bull. Texas Ornith. Soc. 43(1-2): 2010
1.    [PDF]AMERICAN BLACK DUCK RECORDS FROM
TEXAS<http://southwestnwrsnatresources.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/johnsonb_garrettson_2010_band-recovery-and-harvest-data.pdf>
This article reports 48 banded Black Ducks recovered in Texas and 35 wings
collected through Hunter surveys in Texas between the 1971 and 2009. 50% of the
records are from coastal locations most from the Galveston Bay area east.
Since banded birds are such a small percentage of the population and recovered
bands less than 20% it is likely that Black Ducks occur in small numbers
annually in Texas.

If the link made it through Texbirds, then you can download it or just do a
Google Search as I did to find the article. I had read it in 2010 but forgotten
where.

I sure wish Sawarski would release those DNA reading binoculars. We could all
tick off Black Duck, Pacific Wren, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, etc, etc.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324