[techtalk] Re: Wireless networks

  • From: Tim Seifert <sir_tim_seifert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:38:36 +1030

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 22:20 +0100, Greg Webb wrote:
> OK, I'm going to hide under a rock. This is the second network config
> issue which has been solved as soon as I've had it suggested I turn
> off the firewall... (In fairness it shouldn't be necessary because the
> firewall at both ends was definitely claiming to let local access
> through, but still... Now to sort out the fun of credentials between
> the machines, and introducing a third variation on a theme of Windows
> into the equation!)

Depending on your circumstances, turning off a firewall may not be a
problem, or a really big one.

You say it's set to let local access, but have you set what defines
local access (i.e. certain ranges of addresses, or interfaces, being
local rather than WAN).

Years ago, when still used Win98SE, with that zonealarm firewall
contraption, I had to add the 192.168.1.0 network and the 127.0.0.1
network to the definition of local areas.

I can understand the need to make a user manually define some ranges as
being local (or trustworthy, depending on the methodology of the
firewall), but having to manually add the local loopback?!?!?  Sheesh...

Regards,
Tim.