[techtalk] Re: Wireless networks

  • From: Greg Webb <greg.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:20:13 +0100

Thomas Hurst wrote:
* Greg Webb (greg.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

For this machine - 192.168.2.3, subnet 255.255.255.0. Windows can't
access either machine from the other by \\machinename and neither can
ping the other.

So is the other machine 192.168.3.2 or .4 or so?  If one's wired and the
other's wireless, and on 192.168.2.2 or so, that'll probably explain it;
they're on different subnets (i.e. more than the last number is
changing).  If it's not that.. I'm not sure what else it might be.
Firewall?

OK, I'm going to hide under a rock. This is the second network config issue which has been solved as soon as I've had it suggested I turn off the firewall... (In fairness it shouldn't be necessary because the firewall at both ends was definitely claiming to let local access through, but still... Now to sort out the fun of credentials between the machines, and introducing a third variation on a theme of Windows into the equation!)

I only program computers, I'm not a tech!

(Thanks - you've helped delay baldness :-))

Greg