[techtalk] PC Locking up

  • From: Paul Ferguson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TechTalk <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:38:43 +0100

Hi,

My son recently upgraded his PC with a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394
motherboard, AthlonXP 3200+ CPU and DDR 400 memory (Crucial).
(He's still running his Radeon 9800 Pro VGA card which doesn't
appear to have been damaged after all-thankfully !)

The machine then started locking up at random intervals. If he
replaces the CPU with an AthlonXP 2200+ it will run for days.

I thought it could be power related so we fitted a Thermaltake
480W PSU but that made no difference. We then tried removing
the case side panel and directing a desk fan at the board in case
it was overheating but that didn't help.

AFAIK he's running all the latest drivers (I don't think thats an issue
though as the machine is perfectly stable using the lower rated
CPU)

I see that the BIOS isn't the most up to date version and Gigabyte
do say that with the next version up from his, it fixes a problem with
ATI9600 AGP cards so I may well flash it up and see if that helps but
in the meantine, does anyone have any other ideas please ?
--
Cheers,

*Paul*

The moon is a planet just like the Earth, only it is even deader.