[techtalk] Re: PC Locking up

  • From: Paul Ferguson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TechTalk <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:53:07 +0100

Hi Gary,

On 26-Sep-04, Gary Colville wrote:

> Try running a memory tester like memtest86. If it returns errors
> either the memory or mobo are incapable of running at 400MHz, if not
> then its probably a bad processor.

I'll run the tests when the machine is back in one piece - my son
has decided to mod the case so the guts of the machine are lying on our
dining room table :-)

Is there any way to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is the
processor ? If it come to trying to return it, I think I'm going to have
problems as the company I bought it from have not been very good
when it comes to resolving problem items :-(

> I recently saw exacly this behaviour from a 3200+ system and it turned
> out to be a faulty Asus motherboard. It worked fine at lower FSBs, but
> randomly barfed up its dinner at 400MHz.

Ok, so fingers crossed it's the board so I can easily bung in a lower
rated CPU and that should be fine. What 400MHz boards are on your
list as being reliable ? I was thinking something along the lines of an
MSI KT6 Delta-FISR DDR400 KT600 but as always am open to
suggestions :-)
--
Cheers,

*Paul*

Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach. -- S. C. Johnson