[techtalk] Re: Crappy hardware being useful

  • From: "Gary Colville" <ramtop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:10:59 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Ferguson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "TechTalk" <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 6:50 PM
Subject: [techtalk] Re: Crappy hardware being useful

> I thought I would do pretty well in this but I'm beaten well and truly ;)

My worst system is my little 'minimal resource test' server. It's a 150MHz
Cyrix 6x86 sitting on a PCChips M571 motherboard that's down-clocked to
50MHz for stability, with 96MB made up of 4 FPM Simms and 1 PC66 Dimm, a
1.7GB IBM hard drive, a 2MB ATI Rage gfx card and a 4x CD-Rom, running
Windows 2000. The IBM drive was put in recently as an upgrade for a 1.2GB
Seagate that I originally bought for my old A1200 because it was a slim-line
model that fitted ito the 1200's case, so it must be about 10 years old or
so. And still going strong.

Amazingly this machine is still in regular use, but it's due to be retired
in a couple of weeks to free up space for a new system.

--
:: Gary Colville :::::: Mail : ramtop@xxxxxxxxx ::
:: Free from 56k hell! :: 512Kb DSL :: 7db Att. ::