[techtalk] Re: Crappy hardware being useful

  • From: Paul Ferguson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TechTalk <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:50:51 +0100

Hi Gavin

On 15-Mar-04, Gavin Kinsey wrote:

> There's a good one.  What's the worst hardware you have still
> performing a useful job?  I've got an old K6-500 machine running as a
> fileserver.  There's two 80GB drives in it that are incredibly loud and
> so can't live in my main box.  If I could just get WOL to work on it it
> would be perfect :-).

I thought I would do pretty well in this but I'm beaten well and truly ;)

My current worst (still working 100%) is a PCChips M590 based
AMD K6/2 350 running as a small file server. Also operational are a
PIII 500 which is currently running Fedora,  and  a K6/3 450 upstairs
that I built for testing a DVD writer (wanted a clean OS installation)

Beside my desk I have my Tyan Tiger 2 x XP1300 and an Athlon 2500+

Other than that I have another 350 in bits, and a few odds and sods
including a Pentium 233 and another unidentified machine, both in bits.

Not that long ago I had a P100 NT server and a P166 MMX
Linux FTP box but they both suffered disk failures and I needed
the space, so they were canibalised and binned.

And thats not counting the rest of the family's machines ;)
--

Cheers,

*Paul*

//GO.SYSIN DD #, DOODAH, DOODAH