[TechAssist] Re: thomson vcr,picture shaking,vibrate & no sound.

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:06:36 -0500

On vcrs where the video head assembly is replacable, with some exceptions,
it is possible to mount the head opposite of the position of the original
head with respect to the azimuth of the actual video pickups.
This creates two problems. First, instead of no guide alignment or just a
minor guide alignment being required, major adjustments are required to get
a good RF envelope with a prerecorded or alignment tape. Second, after
alignment, the chroma subcarrier is 180 degees out of phase with what it
should be so you just get a black and white picture. Any flashes of color
are due to pickup from adjacent video tracks on the tape.
However, if no adjustments are made, the vcrs own new recordings will play
normally on that vcr.
Most video head assemblies have colors or markings that are clues to the
orientation. I usually make a mark on the head assembly and the mounting hub
before removing it so that I can reinstall it or the replacement properly.
Usually, the colors on the head assembly are reproduced on the circuit board
attached to the rotary transformer.
Once in a while, a replacement head assembly is marked incorrectly. In this
case I try reinstalling it reversed 180 degrees before fooling with
adjustments. Also the pickup height can be incorrect if any dirt or foreign
matter is on the mounting seat, which just confuses matters.
These errors were usually immediately obvious on vcrs with manual tracking.
Autotracking creates a whole new set of symptoms if the new head is not
correctly installed. The autotracking should be turned off or defeated when
installing or adjusting a new head.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave