[TechAssist] Re: technicial quary

  • From: "Quenton Kilgore" <kilgorq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:17:10 -0700

Hello!!!
        My focus has moved away from inside the box to integrating systems that
fill the home of the user. Computers that run on the TV ETC. Most of the
house calls I do are because some "wann-be" sales person-tech hooked it all
up so complicated that the customer couldn't use it. Or worse yet just flat
out screwed it all up. I have not been fixing as many units as I have been
fixing how they hook up. The key to this business is gaining the trust of
your customer and then they will stand by your judgment of what's really
going on. As much as it is a pain when I get a new call I will spend a good
20 to 30 minutes explaining why the new stuff is "better" and worse. This
small piece of my time has paid off for me in astounding proportions. I very
seldom fix a TV or VCR anymore but spend tons of time setting up and
integrating the new stuff for people. And when I do fix I TV or VCR I
usually make a sale on integrating the systems for them also. Computers are
taking over and guess what. the people that use their computers are more
addicted to them then they were the TV. The biggest difference I've noticed
is speed. Society is getting used to having what they want and they want it
now!!! and if you can make that happen for them they are yours for a long
time. The repeat customer is the best customer to have because they are
already happy and they are more forgiving of us being human and making
mistakes. We need to stay on top of technology and most of that technology
will be in very complex digital system. But the good thing is on the
consumer end is that the parts that will need to be replaced will be modules
not components. It's kind of funny the way it has gone for me. I started out
as a CET about 13 years ago and my job gets less like troubleshooting and
more like teaching every year.
        As for display technology it will move to bigger and cheaper. But the
stuff
still breaks and we can still fix it. we just need to add more features to
our service. If I quote $100.00 to fix a $150.00 TV it probably wont get
fixed. but if I through a 6 month warranty and explain to the customer why I
do a better job than the manufacturer. I can usually sell the repair. But
when I add in a free 5 minute job like cleaning their VCR or DVD player the
love me. This seems like a lot of extras but is it really. Who do you think
they are going to call next time. More than likely it will be me. I also
keep coupons handy to sweeten the deal if necessary. I sell about 90% of the
repairs That pass by. and have a return customer rate of about 85%. So I
would say that if you stay up on the technology and make the customer feel
like they are not getting screwed You will be fine for a very long time.

I know I am long winded but this is how I dealt with the market and so far
it has paid off.

Thank You
Quenton Kilgore