[TechAssist] Re: surface mount micro removal

  • From: Albert Walfield <albertwalfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:47:56 -0400

 I been using chip quik for years  because I found stations so expensive
plus all the various chip adapters required.
Its great you have a flux in a suringe which you apply to the pins and apply
heat with your solder iron about 700 degree tip and apply the solder that
comes in kit to the pins.
The solder is very brittle and produces cold solder joints as it flows under
the pins. Then you heat the chip to release glue that holds it to the board
and lift it with a dental pick. Very simple and I am still on my first kit
and I have used it on camcoder  vcr Tv processor chips. Properly 20 to 30
chips and still have about 1/3 of materials left.
Clean up is just solder wick I use gold the real thin stuff from Global. And
then take a Q tip heat the solder pads and  wipe them clean.  If swapping
chips clean pins of IC the same way after removed.
 Then just solder new chip in with thin solder any excess between pins I
just wick up.
Also great for flex cables on camcorders etc.
Love the stuff

Albert Walfield
Albert Walfield's Electronics
28 Mullock RD