[TechAssist] Re: home computer

  • From: Jorge Camboni <geo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 00:57:56 -0500

You got corrupted system files. Try reinstalling 98se
When asked what system directory you want answer c:\windows,
that will make new system files overwrite the old ones.
If I were you I would suspect that HDD.. run scandisk /surface
after reinstalling to make sure you have no bad clusters.
Those problems frequently occur due to hardware flaws, some
of them rather subtle
HTH
Jorge

At 08:53 a.m. 01/08/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Help!!
>last nite when booted up my home computer (home built running Win98SE)
>get error message says problem with  CONFIGMG.
>Says to restart computer, when turned off and restarted comes up with menu
>for Safe Mode, when going into safe mode get error saying missing SHELL.
>Says to go toWindows Setup.
>I am lost at this point if I can't get into safe mode how do I get to
>Windows Setup? or should I re-install OS?
>I don't want to lose any info on HDD
>Please help!!
>Robert
>tvservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>H & H Electronics Inc
>Dallas, TX
>Robert
>tvservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>H & H Electronics Inc
>Dallas, TX

>Classifieds! Buy or Sell!
>http://sell.tech-assist.org
>The Tech Address Book:
>http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/contact.htm
>Add a Repair Tip Here, or Change/Remove your Email Address:
>http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/main.htm
>Lost Password:
>http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Lost your Login Info?".
>Email Archives:

Jorge Camboni, GY Electronics, Richardson, TX

Classifieds! Buy or Sell!
http://sell.tech-assist.org