[TechAssist] Re: decent canned air sources?

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:21:02 -0600

Max,

Thanks for sharing that picture!

For most of the times we could use compressed air, that would certainly
do the job.  The problem I have seen is that every compressor I have ever
used has had water mixed with the air.  I wonder how much water we would
find inside the tires on our cars.

I began using the canned air for very delicate situations like camera
lenses and viewfinders, not for getting rid of accumulated dust & dirt
from a 10-yr old TV chassis!  Back when I did typewriter and teletype
repair (Remember those?) I would use compressed air to blow out dirt,
dust, and old grease and oil from them prior to dunking the the unit
(sans the motor) into a sonic cleaner with solvent.  Moisture would drip
from the air nozzle, but it didn't matter.  The compressors I used all
had "water filters/traps", but they certainly did not make the air dry.

There certainly must be better devices available.  Compressors used by
paint spraying must be better.  Latex paint would not matter, but enamel
and water would not do well.  How can this be done effectively?

This post is long.  Sorry about that.  I will leave you with a smile.  I
once had a customer who brought her VCR back.  She said I claimed to have
cleaned her unit, but there was lots of dust in it.  She said I lied when
I said I had cleaned her unit and she wanted her money back.  I said
"Does it work?"  She said "Yes, it does, but you didn't clean it as you
said."  The invoice said "Cleaned heads and tape path."  I told her the
invoice said nothing about "cleaning accumulated dust from a dirty
environment, but if she desired, I would be happy to do that for $xx
additional."

Cleaning is not always a good thing.  Some of you have heard this story,
but it will be in my book of memorable customers.  I was working for
Sears.  Things were slow.  I finished repairing this old Sears/Sanyo.
The set looked terrible!  Years of accumulated dirt and nicotine.  Just
cleaning the face of the crt resulted in a 300% increase in brightness.
Like I said, things were slow.  I cleaned the whole cabinet.  Looked like
new.  Well, the customer threw a fit when she came to pick it up.
Claimed it was not her set and that we had "stolen her set and
substituted another set."  Really raised hell!  Taught me a lesson.  How
I hate Sears!

Regards,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice), 850-932-0819 (fax)

----