[TechAssist] Re: compaq presario 900 power supply adapter

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:36:49 -0400

Bob, I have a Compaq model 1230 here and the adapter plug has + 19V on
the center terminal and ground on the outside.

I have checked this sort of thing in the past where I didn't know which
polarity to use on a laptop. I put my meter ground lead on the center
terminal of the power jack in the computer and then tried touching
various places on the computer where I thought might be at ground
potential such as some of the case screws (if they happened to screw
into metal frame behind). When I didn't notice any direct continuity
from the jack to ground, I placed the ground lead on the outside
terminal in the jack and then touched around at the screws etc. again.
This time I was able to get zero Ohms from the terminal on the jack to
the case screws. This told me that the center terminal was positive and
the outside was ground.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

BearBuilder wrote:

> HI GANG
> SOMETIMES it's the little things...
>
> Can anyone tell me the center tip polarity on a Compaq presario 900 laptop
> notebook power supply adapter ??
>
> THANKS
>
> Bob Hunter
> Imagineering SODA